Water Fund Prioritization Tool Technical Workshop:
Estimating Portfolio Returns and Monitoring Design for Assessing Water Fund EffectivenessAugust 1-3, 2012
The Latin America Water Funds Platform and the Natural Capital Project are developing guidelines and a tool for prioritizing water fund investments. The second draft of this tool will be tested in a technical workshop in Lima. The workshop will focus on getting critical feedback for further tool development, and on testing the tool's ability to create portfolios and estimate erosion control returns for priority water funds (likely Lima and Monterrey Funds). This workshop will be followed in several months by another that will focus on testing the first full version of the tool with additional water funds in the Platform. The August workshop has several objectives:
- Present and discuss the second version of a water funds prioritization tool that performs diagnostic screening, selection of priority areas, and estimation of returns, discussing both high level decisions about options and technical decisions about approaches.
- Trial the second version of the tool for priority water funds in the Platform (Lima, Monterrey), ending the meeting with draft investment portfolios and estimated returns for erosion control.
- Increase alignment in approaches across water funds engaged in the Platform.
- Build capacity across water funds through interactions among technical staff and hands- on work with the tool.
- Review progress on standards for water fund monitoring and align monitoring and RIOS tool development processes.